AMASRA VIRTUAL TOUR

Amasra virtual tour can be found here.

AMASRA


It is not known how much the God worked to create it. The only thing that is known that Amasra, which was called to be “Elegant and Beautiful” by Plinius, was called as “Eye of the world” by Niketas, “Fort with flowers” by the Genoese, “A Balance” by Diogenes, who said “Stand Out of my Sunlight, I don’t need Anything Else”, and “Puerto Fino” by the famous Turkish Art Music Singer Zeki Müren. During the conquer in 1460, Fatih Sultan Mehmet must have been impressed much by the scene, since he said “Tutor, is this the eye of the world” being unable to hide his astonishment. What makes Amasra exotic is the natural structure consisting of 7 hills, a peninsula, two islands and two gulfs and the forest cover, which has the image of paradise of green. Due to those properties, tourism has started in 1940 and has become famous as the first tourism town of Turkey. The name of the town in ancient times is “Sesamos”, which means sesame. The name of the woman leader, who ruled Amasra in the 3rd century B.C was Amastris, and the Ottoman called the city “Amasra” after this leader.

The first owner of this ancient city is the Amazons. Thereafter the Phoenicians,  Ionians, Kayrans, Achaeans, Persians and following the Amastris, the Pontus, Romans, Byzantines, Ottoman have lived in Amasra.

ULUS VIRTUAL TOUR

Ulus virtual tour can be found here.

ULUS


It is accepted that the history of Ulus has its foundations in 3000 B.C. Between 800 B.C and 2000 A.C, the region has been subject to raids and migrations first from the East and then from the West, and Hittites and their age-peers Gasgos have settled in this region for a long period. Ulus has remained within the borders of Candaroğlu Chiefdom during the time of Anatolian Seljuks. In the Ottoman period, the district has remained as a small settlement center and has not been the scene of any commercial, political and military event. The name of the district comes from the verb “share” (üleşmek) and it was “ülüş” at first, and was adopted as “ULUS” in Mongolian Language and means the part of the country given to a prince including the people living in the settlement center.

While Ulus was a township of Safranbolu district, it has become a district on August 8th 1944 and was affiliated to Zonguldak province. When Bartın became a province under the Law dated August 28th 1991 and numbered 3760, it was affiliated to Bartın District.

KURUCAŞİLE VIRTUAL TOUR

Kurucaşile  virtual tour can be found here.

KURUCAŞİLE


It is indicated in various references that the district, which has a history of 3OOO years was a site called Kromna established by Millet and Megara sailors, and especially by the Phoenicians. After the Roman, Byzantine and Genoese dominance, the first Turkish commander seen in the region is Kara Tigin under the command of Süleyman Bey, son of Kutalmış. Yıldırım Beyazıt conquered this region in 1395 from Candaroğulları taking it under Ottoman governance. Although the first periods are not known, it is known that money was printed in Kromna in the First Age. Kromna is mentioned in Iliad and hence it is understood to be an ancient city, however, the history of the city in the establishment or first age period could not be uncovered. It has a history that is parallel with Sesamos (Amasra).  It is learnt from the written references that Kromna printed money in its own name as is the case in Amastris. Kromna is most probably the ancient name of Tekkeönü Village, which is located 7-8 km eastern of Kurucaşile. In some references, Kromna is claimed to be “Kurucaşile”. In Ruge/Bittel “Paphlagonia” section, it is indicated that an inscripted stone found in Tekkeönü was brought here from another place, in relation with Kromna.Kromna city is established on the peninsula between two natural harbors, which are Sandal and Zeytin capes. With the announcement of Republic, Kurucaşile remained as a sub-district of Bartın district until 1957 and it was affiliated to Zonguldak province with a law adopted on that date and when Bartın became a province in 1991, it has become one of the three districts of Bartın with Ulus and Amasra.In Kurucaşile, which became a district on 01. 09. 1957, there are 4 quarters and 28 villages; most of the villages in the district, 40% of which is covered with forests, are forest villages.